Job Title: UK Press Officer Department: Sales & Marketing – Europe, Middle East & Africa
Reporting to: Head of Market – UK Closing Date: N/A
Date of preparation: 21 June 2021
Purpose of the Role:
To support the McLaren UK regional sales and marketing function in raising awareness of the McLaren brand and range of road cars across the spectrum of key UK media outlets with primary responsibility for UK Press Fleet management, in conjunction with the central PR team, regional and dealer PR programs and event management. Through the promotion of the company, its key products to key journalists and influencers in the UK media will allow to generate positive media coverage.
The role reports directly into the UK Head of Market, part of the Europe, Middle East and Africa region, with a dotted line into the Global Head of PR He/she will work closely and daily with the UK Regional key stakeholders to focus on the needs of the region. He/she will be the key contact for the Central PR team (including Social media) to ensure alignment of the strategy and activation. He/she will work closely with other key members of the Sales and Marketing team as and when relevant.
Due to the nature of the role and the demands of a progressive company, flexible working arrangements and travel are anticipated.
- Increasing awareness of McLaren Automotive through the contribution to and implementation of comprehensive media activities for product launches and product lifecycle sustainment for UK media.
- Assisting the UK Head of Market in managing administration of the UK PR market budget.
- Developing a thorough understanding of McLaren products and processes in order to manage effective media relationships, resulting in high-impact press coverage measured against competitors
CENTRAL PR TEAM COLLABORATION
- Being the closest contact to the Central PR team within the sub-region to ensure the alignment of the communications led by central in the brand’s home-market.
- Assisting with collation of all regional reports and analysis including media measurements, press clippings, internal business updates. National and Tier 1 being covered off by Central PR team.
- Assisting the Central PR team in maximising McLaren’s editorial share of voice, creating desire and aspiration by generating positive editorial comment focused on media that will be most relevant to our target customers in the home-market.
- Developing and maintaining a detailed, relevant regional media list of automotive, business and lifestyle contacts across UK.
- Working alongside the Central PR team with all international programs to follow-up and understand the UK market representation.
- Maintaining regular contact with the UK retail partner network and UK Marketing Manager to find out potential news stories of UK media interest and defining best communication platform: social, release, notification, internal…
- Supporting the UK Retailer Network with media management and exposure, taking their story ideas and activating appropriately (local or national), generating news regionally.
- Creating a UK Retailer Newsletter sharing the best articles with UK retail partners to sustain interest, provide content that can be used as CRM, keep partners updated on the feedback from the press on the McLaren brand and range.
PRESS FLEET MANAGEMENT
- Overseeing the management and administration of the UK press fleet including being one of the points of contact with media for loans and test drives, ensuring a high utilisation percentage, in close coordination with the central press fleet manager .
- Working closely with the UK retail partner network to ensure a professional delivery and handover process of the McLaren fleet, by optimising the media drives by region.
- Supporting the UK team with all regional and test drive programs
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Strong knowledge of the UK media landscape and established relationships with, and history of working directly with those in UK; established network of contacts in the home-market.
- Experience in core communications skills, including presenting, writing for print and online media, internal reporting, and agency/supplier management.
- Experience of working within dynamic and change-oriented teams.
- Experience in managing a budget.
- A proactive mindset that has generated creative solutions to strategic and tactical business challenges, supporting the market goals.
- General understanding of design and engineering attributes of supercars and of the history of global supercar development.
- For the position advertised, experience in the automotive and/or luxury industries.
- Fluent written and spoken English; another language is a plus.
- Professional and credible ambassador of the McLaren brand values.
- Ability to mix confidently with senior journalists, senior management and the calibre of customers and VIPs who are clients of McLaren.
- A winning mentality and can-do attitude – demonstrating great drive to achieve outstanding results.
- The ability to maintain a consistent high level of work and professional output in times of change
- Ability to easily adapt to new situations, to persuade different audiences and effectively pitch stories to media.
- Ability to brief team and spokespersons, reflecting a belief in the company objectives and decisions.
- A good level of commercial acumen supporting budget ambitions and understanding the broader business context of automobile production, sales and after sales
- Ability to work well within a team environment and communicate clearly with the team
- Ability to raise potential risks and propose related solutions for decision.
- Comprehensive knowledge of/experience in PowerPoint; Excel; Word.
- Driving license; based in the UK.
All employees must ensure compliance with the Company Health and Safety Policy and all relevant other statutory Health and Safety legislation.
This job description may not detail minor duties allocated to the post holder, nor cover duties of a similar nature, commensurate with the role, which may from time to time be reasonably required by the relevant manager.
To apply for this job please visit www.mclaren.com.